The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Happiness on 'Burb

Thought since my old 1967 4x4 Suburban is down I might as well do some routine mainteance on her. And after deciding to change the fluids in my diffs and felting/greasing up my battery post, checking Coolant for the winter, etc.

Found the front cover wasRTV'ed into place. No biggie. Just means it was service at least once. But the rear one..... not so much. After placing the socket over the grime encrusted bolts I soon noticed over half of them were only finger tight! WOW! And has the flat gasket and no RTV at all. Maybe thats why it was leaking and had the bolts starting to back off.

Good thing I picked a nice warm Novemeber day to tackle this, as once I got my transmission back in place I may have never given it another thought! So given the choice, would you RTV your diff cover back in place or use a gasket either with or w/o RTV?

Sorry no photo of the work being done just had the old trusty lab in the 'Burb while I fired up the big Olds 455 with glass packs and let it warm up before putting the truck to bed for the night.
Attached Images