The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
pharmd

Help me select the right welder

I am trying to make a BIG decision, selecting my first welder. I know you get alot of these threads...BEST welder, help me choose a welder etc, sorry for cluttering the servers, but I am totally clueless here. Im a healthcare professional, and I LOVE cars. My profession doesn't allow much free time and I never had the opportunity to take vocational classes, as my parents made me always take pre-college biology, chemistry, math etc.

I am going to be doing the typical bodyparts (repairing floor pans, filling in body rot, fabricating, some frame work, etc). I also "think" there might be some utility in being able to weld aluminum. I know I had to modify the oil pan on my TBSS and had to have someone else do it because neither myself or my friends could weld aluminum. You guys could probably better advise me on other applications of aluminum welding on these types of projects.

My gut thought is instead of getting a small welder that has limited application, buying a "decent" welder that has "many" applications, so I don't have to turn around in upgrade soon after an initial purchase.

You guys tell me, is my thinking correct or not?

The 2 units im thinking of is Millermatic 211 auto-set with mpv vs millermatic 252.

If the cheaper unit would be sufficient then great, but you all have the experience, so I am relying on your knowledge and opinions.

Thanks,

Brad
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/profile/28922
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote