The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Help - A real mystery !!

O.K. I'll try to make it brief. "70 Stepside. Sat about 3/4" lower on the drivers side. After 2-1/2" spindles + one coil cut with springs switched from right to left. Still lower on the drivers side (about 1/2"). Short story - Decided it was too low, bought a set of take outs from board member BowtieBill, told myself that that would raise it back up (uncut) and all would be well!
NOW, to the mystery ! . When I dropped the lowers to remove the cut spring from the driver's side, all went well. Installed the take-out (uncut) spring, got the top and bottom lined up and bingo. Left side done. Moved to the right side and dropped the lower and pulled out the cut spring and plugged in the uncut spring. Lined it up top and bottom and started jacking the lower back up. LO AND BEHOLD - the ball joint stud would barely reach the hole in the spindle. I double checked everything that I could think of. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER - but after removing the upper bump stop and some "creative" jack maneuvers, managed to get the threads up thru the spindle and the nut started. Needless to say, I was glad to get that thing connected. Anyway, pulled the nut down to snug it up. Decided to let the jacks down for a look and my gosh, the driver's side look great but the right side to 2 or 2-1/2" taller than the left. What am I missing??? I'm thinking about putting the cut spring back in the right side. Can I run two slightly different spring rates if he darn thing will just sit level!!!

I'll listen to all and thanks for listening to me.

Toby
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote