The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

Help with upgrading fuel delivery system? Questions.

I admit to often over thinking what is more than not simple. (my wife will quickly second that) But thinking this fuel delivery system through to completion before I have even started tearing it apart has been my nemesis lately.

So I have been acquiring parts for a minor/major engine clean-up in the truck and this upgrade on my C-30 350. It needs it.

Parts so far: Edelbrock 1406 carb, 2101 Edelbrock Performer Intake, GM valve cover/air filter dress-up kit. New breather and pcv caps.

Yet from what I read it looks like I need to include a fuel regulator set-up for this carb as well. Truck came with an electric fuel pump of unknown origin installed on the frame rail just behind the passenger door.

Parts needed? Am I correct about a regulator with this carb as it seems to be a constant warning that they are picky about fuel volume and any suggestions on which one? Jegs and Summit has been my sources of looking at the options lately. I have no clue.

Also, does it make sense, with the electric fuel pump tucked in the frame rail, to try to run the fuel line from the carb to the firewall then down to the pump rather than running it forward, as if to a mechanical pump, then down and back to the electric pump? I can't see any reason not to short-cut it to the current pump. Anyone done that with an electric pump installed outside of the engine compartment and on a frame rail? Should the filter be between pump and regulator or regulator and carb? Both?

Still have to purchase gasket set for the intake. Pondering using some braided hose as well for fuel line plus I really want to use hard-line at least from the carb to regulator and filter. But this regulator and fuel filter set-up, including just choosing what regulator to buy has me confused with all the choices. I don't need a high end regulator from what I understand.

Finally, and excuse my ignorance, but when using a carb spacer, another issue with Edelbrock carbs and boiling fuel I would like to avoid, any suggestions? I see everything from .032 to 1" options for ways to dissipate the heat. Won't these spacers also require extension bolts to compensate for the added height from the spacer? Any suggestions of which one to order?

Other than this and that and the other I hope to begin the process of cleaning the motor this week-end after another day of hauling wood. Hope to use a long week-end over Thanksgiving to swap old for new parts but depends on time available, if the cleaning is done and if the truck is not needed. I'm not in a hurry for this so that is probably another reason I may be reading too much into wanting to get this right.

Until then tired of looking at parts in Jegs and second guessing myself. So tossing out these concerns hoping to hear from those who know more than I do on this aspect of the fuel delivery system.(and any parts I am forgetting)

Basically I'd at least rather know I have gathered the right parts before I start this transformation so I might minimize any possible problems related to the hardware from my inexperience of installing them! .

As always, appreciate the forum.

Thanks!
Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 11-17-2010 at 09:28 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote