The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
ryhan87

Engine Trouble. Any Ideas?

I have a 72 LWB with a 250ci I6. With a single barrel rochester carb. Since i got the truck i have rebuilt my head with a new top end set and head gasket when it went back on. I have new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, new points. I put on new exhaust, checked my timing and its correct. I have also put in a carb kit. When i did all the this work my truck ran excellent. Now i am having starting issues. From cold I give it full choke and pump the gas three or four times and it fires up runs for a few seconds than dies, it does this about three times than it will run on high idle. If i take it off high idle it slowly idles down than dies. Also when i try to drive when its still cold it hesitates really bad. But when the engine has warmed up a bit, it will sit at about 700 rpm and runs perfect with plenty of power. Any ideas of what i should look at? Im thinking its probably a carb issue. Might have been a poor quality rebuild kit I put in. Any ideas? Also i would like to go to something other than the manual choke? Would would be the best?
ryhan87 is offline   Reply With Quote