The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
muthstryker

Want to learn to weld/buy a welder - Need Help

Hey guys,

Ive been wanting to learn to weld for a long time now and even more so since I learned that it could be almost 2k just for the stuff I want welded/done. Obviously Im not going to go out and buy a welder and start welding on my truck and hope it turns out. I want to spend alot of hours practicing on welding before I feel comfortable enough to weld on my truck and that my welds look nice. (Im a perfectionist)

Anyways, Ive been looking at welders and im confused on what I need/Have to have. I dont plan on doing any custom frame building or welding on the frame mostly sheet metal type stuff. Ive seen gasless welders, welders that use gas etc etc. Was trying to read up on welding and it says that work sheetmetal type work (like car panels and what not) that a gas welder is better because its cool and wont burn through that panel like a gasless welder would?

Anyways just looking for some setups that arn't going to cost me 2-3k when all said and done. And maybe some tips for welding, want to buy soon (december 15th). And get to practice right away.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote