The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Stupid brakes

I was checking fluids on my truck the other day, and i notcied my brake fluid was a bit low in the rear resivour. No big deal, so i filled it up. Today i went to stop the truck, and i felt the brake pedal sink underneath my foot more than nomral, so i checked it again, and sure enough, it was low. I started looking and found that the brake line for my rear brakes, the one that crosses the front suspension X-member, had worn a hole in where it meets the frame. No big deal, so i took out the old line, and went to the parts store and got a universial bend-to-fit replacement. I put it in with no problem, and went to bleed them with my mity-vac bleeder.

Anyway, i was just pumping air and no brake fluid, and the level in the MC wasn't dropping, so i got in the truck and stood on the brake pedal to check for a leak. Sure enough, the brake fitting was leaking where the lines join going from the mastercylinder and the one that goes across the X-member.

The fitting on the new line is the same thread as the old line, and it seems to be leaking where the line goes into the fitting that slides up and down the new brake line. I was thinking of just replacing the union for the two brake hoses and seeing how it works then, but that is just a guess. It didn't leak before and it looks fine. Any other ideas on what would make it leak like that?
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote