The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Wincks2

Should I accept an offer for Smokey?

Someone handy has offered $1,500 for Smokey (described in signature below).

I would still like a long bed crew cab for towing our family trailer during summers. Just not sure whether it should be Smokey or a future Smokey II.

Here is how I see it:

- Smokey's a Frankentruck, so my manuals don't always help me keep her on the road.

+ If she runs, she is a diesel so she is ideal for towing our family trailer during the summers.

- A more stock crew cab long bed would also be able to tow our family trailer.

+ She gets 13 mpg towing our trailer and without towing around the city. She gets 25 mpg without towing on the highway. From my reading a gas engine wont get similar mileage.

- Have to clean out the garage and remove a work bench to get her inside to work on her.

- She is currently stalling in the winter cold. Glow plugs work, fuel heater works, she is plugged in. Buyer thinks it may be an air leak in the fuel line.

- The wiring is currently very bad. Live wires are left dangling in the air, etc.

- Around here the mechanics I use don't know how to fix a diesel. They are familiar with gas engines. So if the diesel part goes, I could be in trouble.

- the kids are now at an age where we have activities most night, so working on her may take the winter.

Seems to me cost of keeping and fixing her would be about: $1,200 welding doors, rockers and floors; $700 paint; $1,500 miscellaneous repairs; time for $1,500 = a good running Smokey for about another $4,000. I guess I could try to do this work in my garage myself, but I have never welded or painted before. But she would still be highly modified and a diesel.

Wondering whether I should take the $1,500 and apply it toward the purchase of a more stock crew cab long bed, perhaps with a gas engine.

Looks like using the $1,500 plus the $4,000 I would have to spend on Smokey would get me a budget of around $5,500.

What should a largely rust free crew cab long bed cost?

I guess if I were able to put her inside, and find the hours to do the work myself, I could save the $4,000. Of course, time is also money.

What would you suggest? Should I let her go to someone who seems confident he could put her in good running order and then shop around for a more stock replacement?
Old Smokey: 85 GMC 3/4 ton long bed crew cab originally a 5.7 gas engine now with an 84 6.2 with a 92 serpentine belt system, a banks sidewinder, torque converter, and a shift kit. I bought her this way from someone handy - and now am trying to figure out how all this truck works.

The Old Smokey project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=390518

Last edited by Wincks2; 11-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Wincks2 is offline   Reply With Quote