The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtzen View Post
markeb01

Thanks, it looks great. I need to do something similar.
If you decide to go with the old Moon style pedal, there were 3 basic flavors available back in the 60’s – Cal Custom (which I have), Eelco, and Moon. Any of these can be returned to like new condition by sandblasting. I got tired of mine getting stained with dirt, so I blasted it and painted it with POR-15 Sterling Silver several years ago. About every 6 months I spray it with Windex and scrub it with a tooth brush, then wipe it off and it looks like new again.

There were also off brands, and some sellers on eBay try to pass off bus pedals, and even drum pedals as speed equipment. I’ve also seen several apparent Moon pedals with a different word cast in, frequently ending in H.S. These were normally cast in high school metal shops back in the 60’s in a sand cast mold made from a genuine Moon pedal. Here’s a quick description of each of the main brands one at a time so it doesn’t get too confusing.

The Moon pedal was by far the most popular and can still be purchased new from Mooneyes. I tried using an old original Moon pedal first, but they have a raised border, rim, ledge or whatever you want to call it on the left side as well as the right side and bottom. In real world use the left hand border interfered with operation of the brake pedal, so initially I removed the left border. I kept trimming more and more to get to work until it soon looked like crap so I started looking for one of the other brands.

Here are several photos of Moon pedals. They also were available with two hinge styles, center pivot or heel.

Here’s a link to the Mooneyes web link:

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/moon-foot...53509cc45a044d

Next up is Cal Custom which looks very similar to the Eelco version, except for the pyramid or waffle pattern. Cal Custom is indented while Eelco protrudes. The only advantage of one over the other is the Eelco is probably easier to clean. Neither of these brands have the ledge on the left side.

I bought my Cal Custom pedal on eBay which is the only place I have found any in many years. You may have luck locally if you have swap meets in the area. Cal Custom came in two styles, heel pivot and clamp on (to attach to a stock accelerator pedal). Mine is a heel pivot type, attached to an original Moon heel pivot bracket. Here are a few pictures of both styles:

Cal Custom also offered a matching dimmer pedal. I bought one as a kid and put it in our 52 Oldsmobile, but my dad hated it and kept pulling it out because his shoe constantly hung up on the side of the miniature. I've seen these on eBay sell for anywhere between $20 up to $75. Here’s a couple of pics:

Eelco is the 3rd brand and here are a few photos. They can always be identified by the little barefoot insignia on the back.

All 3 brands seem to be equally popular now, and condition seems to be the most important factor in their cost. I’ve also seen bidding fever drive a mediocre Moon pedal over $100, when a new one could be purchased for less than half that amount.

Happy hunting if you decide you want something like this.