The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
jkade

Re: Glock's new project: "Fred"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
Thanks man, I appreciate it! It's been pretty straight forward so far, I really thought I would have a lot of questions and have things stump me since this is the first time I've ever done something like this. But all the planning has truly paid off! I really do think just about anyone could do this. There is a LOT to be done, but it's not nearly as daunting of a task as I originally thought it would be.

The speedo, and entire gauge cluster, is sourced from a 90-91 Blazer, Suburban or dually. The one I got is out of a Blazer. The electric speedo only needs one output wire fed to it from the PCM. When I got the cluster, I followed every circuit from the pin to see where it went, and made a drawing of the connector on the cluster and noted each pin and where it went. Today when I pulled the original cluster, I did the same thing noting wire color, what is was for, and what pin # it was in. Then I made another drawing of pin numbers, and where I needed to put each wire for the new cluster. The original cluster had 3 ground wires running to it, the new one only needed one, so I cut the other 2 off. That gave me a wire/pigtail I could use to run the speedo output wire to and put it in the right hole on the connector.
How did you figure what was a ground and what was hot on the 91 cluster? That is what has me worried as I don't want to smoke the 91 cluster. You still got the drawing?

EDIT: I found this thread with a excel ss with the pinouts... he left off which one was for the speedo though.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...ge-wiring.html
Thanks!!!!

Last edited by jkade; 12-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote