The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
burkeens

The torch is passed.

One of my favorite things growing up was riding around with my uncle's 1968 C-10. He bought it new in 1967, well before I was born. I have always been crazy about that truck and always peeked out in the garage it when back in my hometown. My uncle takes great care of his things and has always kept the truck garaged, so it's still in pretty good condition for a 43-year old truck. A few weeks ago, he called and said he had decided to retire the truck out to the barn, and if I wanted it, I could come pick it up. Of course, I said yes. I took title to it several weeks ago, but only got it in hand this past weekend. Although I have driven a manual transmission pickup daily for several years, it was still a little adjustment to get used to the 3ott and manual brakes on the 68. Hearing the gas sloshing around behind the seat also takes some getting used to.

So now I getting over the shock of owning my favorite truck of all time. Now, I am trying to figure out what to do to keep it in good condition. I don't want to drive it every day, but I don't want to let it sit around a deteriorate either. I probably will have it repainted. It still has the original paint job, but it is getting thin and showing patina. Other than the fact that my uncle had the dealer add power steering to it early on, replaced the side windows, and recovered the seat, it's pretty much all stock. The engine is original, but was rebuilt several years ago. He have me the original west coast junior windows in case I ever want to put them back on.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to do with the truck and what should be restored vs. left alone. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of mechanical experience, so I will have to get a lot of help. The three things I am thinking about right now are (1) repainting, (2) adding front wheel disc brakes, (3) adding shoulder belts, and (4) moving the tank out of the cab. I will put pictures below. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by burkeens; 12-14-2010 at 11:54 PM.
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote