The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
oldnslow
Old Guy

48 5 Window air ride driver

I bought this truck from a friend that owned it for 25 years. He had a Volare torsion bar front end installed, bought a 9" Ford rear end (not installed) and had the body repaired and straightened then lost interest. I saw the truck at his house for years, he told me it was for sale, but the front end really put me off, the torsion bars were cool but the track width seemed too wide. I listed it in Ebay for him, but it didn't meet reserve, as there was no firewall (long story) or rear suspension. After looking at it for a while I kind of got the bug and purchased it for myself. After it was home, the front end was replaced with a GM Metric (Monte Carlo) front clip. Taller A body spindles were used with Hotchkis upper control arms for a better camber curve and the 12" brakes. The spring pockets were opened up and lower control arms modifiedfor Slam Specialties bags. New bushings, ball joints tie rod ends etc. were added as was an IROC 12:1 steering box. The rear frame was kicked up high enough to lay out the running boards with 32" tires. Chevy truck trailing arms and Firestone bags were added with a long panhard bar ala Hot Rods to Hell Centerdrive. The 9" ford housing that came with the truck was used, a 4.10 posi was used and 11.75 Wilwood rotors are used with 75 Eldorado calipers. A 1955 Chevy car dash was modified and fitted in the cab. I moved on to other projects (68 short/wide) etc. and the truck ended up stored in a friend's pole barn. With insperation and perspiration from my buddy Terry, we started working on it again this Fall. We installed the Sheet Metal Direct firewall and floors (HIGHLY RECCOMENDED) in a weekend. Next up was boxing the frame, welding up extra holes and priming and painting the chassis. The chassis is rolling in chassis black and the bags are tied toghether so we can raise and lower it. The Christmas holiday has slowed our progress, but body work has started and I should have some pix soon.
Attached Images

oldnslow is offline   Reply With Quote