The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Power Steering Conversion or...

how to waste 2.5 days... In reality this should have been a 1 to 1 1/2 day project but it fought me tooth and nail all the way. I bought a bracket kit from Captainfab (board vendor). The bracket is well made and the instructions are detailed... just all of the measurements were off, at least for me. The made things very frustrating and time consuming but in the end I beat it and won the battle. Here is what I went thru all in the name of gaining power steering.

Things started simple, here is the old manual box waiting removal.

Steering shaft cut per instructions, box removed. Making progress.

Bracket located per instructions (which had updated, hand written measurements that were suppose to work better based on other people input), holes drilled and stitched welded to the frame. That sucker is not moving.

Rebuilt mid '70's box mounted to said bracket... Houston we have a problem!!! As you can see, the box splined shaft is not even pointing in the same plane as the steering shaft. Crap!!! After pondering a fire bomb, I cut all of my stitch welds and removed said bracket. At this point my picture taking became minimal as I was working on solving the problem. I ended up placing the bracket on the box, marking the centerline of the shaft and started to figure out where the bracket needed to be on the frame.

Getting it where it needed to be and close to Captainfab's original measurements, I got the shaft lined up and the center link is level and parallel to the crossmember. Okay, things are going well now but I am out of daylight. Tomorrow the steering hook up!

Next morning I get started on drilling out the old flange off the cut steering shaft, so it can be welded back on. I place the rag coupler on, then the flange... Houston, here we go again. As you can see by the daylight between the two, the shaft is about an 1" too short (again cut per instructions and double checked).

Went out and got some thick wall DOM tubing and was going to make an adapter like most other kits use. As I was thinking about it, I decided that I could place the cut off piece back into the flange, weld it from underneath and plug weld onto the shaft. I made the tubing sleeve 5" long so it slide up the steering column shaft about 4.5".

Flange from underneath and again, got busy figuring this out and not taking as many pictures.

Here is "my" adapter plug welded on the shaft and top and bottom of the tubing sleeve. I have no doubt this will be strong. Forgot to take pics painted.

Used my pump I removed from my '68 and modified the short pump bracket to work with a long pump. 3 washers welded onto the area mounting to the engine block and cut and welded the rear arm that bolts to the motor mount. Pulley lines up with the middle crank pulley. Took me 3, yes 3 trips to the auto parts store to finally get the right belt. Went from way too short, to almost there, to just right. Filled the system, bled, bled and bled the system. Took a little more than a quart of fluid. No leaks!!! Used a '70 high pressure hose which worked perfect.

I still need to get an alignment (which I need from dropped spindles) and then re-center the steering wheel, this project is done. Was it worth all the hassles and frustration? Heck ya!!! Man it is nice to one hand the steering while being able to shift with the other hand. I have been PM'ing Captainfab with my issues and suggestions so hopefully no one else will go thru this. Luckily I have a very well equipped garage so I had the resources to handle these issues. A hand tool only type garage would have been SOL big time.

Hope others find this helpful.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 12-28-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote