The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
rhdowns

383 Install update - 700R4 issues and vacuum brake issue

Well my 383 from skip white performance is installed and sounds great. I have a TV cable from bowtie overdrives installed that was installed when I had the 305 in it.

The original 700R4 that has about 90k miles on it is very unhappy about the new motor. It slips if you give it more than about a quarter throttle. It shifted fine with the 305 but very unhappy now with all the extra power. I am torn as to what to do next. Do have the transmission rebuilt or buy a new one? Bowtie overdrive has one for about $1395 rated to handle the horsepower\torque this engine puts out.

Second issue - vacuum for the brakes. Under most conditions they work fine but in parking lots where you use them once and then use them again the second time they are like manual brakes and you have to really step hard on the puzzle to stop. I'm told that it is the camshaft and that I either have to swap out the cam or buy some vacuum boost\storage thing to fix this issue.

Third issue is we thought the truck had a posi rear and it does not so putting it in first will light one side up for as long as your foot is in it. Is it very involved to swap out rear ends for a posi trac rear?

Thanks for all your help.

I will hopefully post some pics and vids when I get back from cold Boston Thursday. The engine sounds great and looks good.

Oh one more issue the bracket for the air conditioner - when trying to bolt up the ac unit the valve covers are too high and interfere so I either have to have lower profile valve covers or have the valve cover mashed down on the corner.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4299016 Original post that has some pics.

Last edited by rhdowns; 01-05-2011 at 01:02 AM.
rhdowns is offline   Reply With Quote