The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
CircusWagonJim

Re: Circus wagon pics ?

Backing up and connecting the story a little more anyone who lived/lives in the South Bay (Redondo/Hermosa/Torrance) area got their inspiration and addiction to lowered & FAST '67-'72 Chevy Shortbeds from Sammy Head. He was messing with these trucks from the day they were new and has built HUNDREDS of them and helped SOOOO many people with their own trucks.
My dad actually went to grade school with Sammy and they were both into Chevies from a very early age. I saw Sammy's cool trucks all my life and knew older guys that Sammy helped with their trucks when I was in High School- I wanted on too!!!!! I finally got one right after High School and while I was fixing it up I found the Black '68 CST and sold my project '68.
Years later (1999) after the Aerospace industry left me without a job or career I started working as manager of a Rhino Linings location. They wanted me to find a "special" truck and give it a custom bed lining for exposure. I immediately thought of Sammy and his latest truck in a long line of killer Slant Nose short fleetsides. This new one was a '67 Short Fleet with a built big block and CST bucket seat (both MUST HAVES for Sammy!). The color was a Fawn Beige metallic so we custom mixed a color for the bed liner a shade darker. It came out super cool and I took it to my first truck show a vendor. While I was there a lady approached me who really dug the truck and she later introduced herself as the Publisher of Custom Classic Truck and Rod & Custom Magazines. She liked me and helped me get a job at Sport Truck- a few months later the Circus Wagon would be born!

Sammy's upholstery shop was an institution in Hermosa Beach.
Attached Images

Last edited by CircusWagonJim; 01-17-2011 at 12:50 AM.
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote