The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
steelscout
Words under my name

In Over My Head?

Maybe...but I am going to do what it takes to get this baby running good...

I recently purchased a 69 CST/10, 350sbc with T400 transmission, came with dealer installed saddle tanks. It has a Carter AFB carb, 4 wheel drum brakes, and power steering. The A/C unit has been removed, the Radiator for the A/C is still connected and from the seller appears to be running to the trans, by the way seller only had truck for less than a week.

We discovered that she was running on 7 cyl. so when I got her home (40ish miles away) I went to my local auto parts store and purchased plugs and wires for a 1969, apparently my engine isnt, no worries, I took a spark plug out (had fuel and oil mix on it) took it to the store and learned that my engine is a late 70s 350 probably 1977-79. I replaced all the plugs and wires, except for the number 6 plug, its stuck and haven't figured out how to get it out without breaking the ceramic, bolt is somewhat stripped so I am thinking it was cross-threaded in (lame)....either way I at least replaced the wire, now she runs on all 8 cyl. except now she stalls/sputters when reved and idles really low then dies after a few minutes. I am thinking its the carb and/or timing, couldn't have been good to run her on 7/8 cyl.

I have some paperwork, receipts and service records for the truck, seems she stopped getting love around 10 years ago.

My engine ID 3970010, which if I am reading right is 69-79 255-350hp 4 bolt main, the other options was it was a 302, and from reading here 99.99999 % sure it is a 350. I agree.

What I am trying to figure out is, what year the engine is? so when I get parts (carb, water pump etc...) I get the right ones. I am not skilled at this, but I would like to be and that is why I bought her. I have replaced oil pans, alts and starters before so I am little bit mechanical, at least for bolt on applications.

my truck is my avatar, I have engine pictures which I will upload tomorrow

thanks for any help advice answers

Ray
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote