The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
00droptopSS
2.5/4 on 20's

I took a butt kicking by my one piece windows

Well I'm trying to wrap up my project. All the panels and trim have been fitted and gaps corrected, Dynamat is installed. I removed my floor shifter and installed a column shift with Lokar linkage to my 700r4. Most of the truck has been primed and blocked, but it has to be done two more times before I paint.

All I had left was the one piece window install. I started Saturday at noon. The directions said allow four hours for install. After two hours following the directions to the letter I was 75% finshed, or so I thought.

I had to remove the doors to get a crappy screw in the bottom of the doors, I had to shim the right hand rear channel to fit, the window kept coming off track. Not to mention getting the window into the regulator. I finally finished the right hand door at 5:00. I have a full shop with all the right tools, what went wrong?

I go back today with a fresh attitude and the lessons learned from yesterday and I completed the left hand door quickly only to have the regulator break as I'm installing the window for the final time. Man I was mad as hell. Demoralized I cleaned up the shop and swept the floor. I have an extra set of doors, but I'm burned out and kit is installed minus the glass so it can still be painted.

Overall I'm not to happy with the glass kit, not because I had problems, but the fit is so-so without a lot of tweeking and even after grinding the door catch liberally I'm still concerned about it hitting the door channel.

I'm going to sit by the pool drink a cold Beer and lick my wounds with the vision of how SWEET that one finished window looks.

Sorry for the long post.

My Old 72 SWB
00droptopSS is offline   Reply With Quote