The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
wilberweb

55 cab roof large patch panel

Hi, guys has any one done a large area patch panel, I am having a heck of a time with my 55 Chevy 3100 cab top. I haven't any experience with patch panels.This is my first attempt and it seems like every thing was going great had all my seems perfect, all lined up correctly just the right amount of gaps,smooth looking all sides looked great, then I started to weld the patch panel, that's when the problems started.
when I started to weld the panel I noticed I was getting a dip in in the middle of the seem along the edge where the two seems came together, and when I would look across the roof I also noticed looking to the front of the truck it seemed that there was a large dip this wasn't there before I started welding. I didn't think that heat from welding a panel could cause this much problems? here are some pictures of what I am up against very frustrating it looks like the seem at the largest section started to dip in where the seems came together, and that the metal started to distort. Been working on this problem for a while. not sure if its me being to picky or is this normal for this large of a panel. and maybe that's what body filler is for
Hope some one is able to help.

Thanks

-Larry

[IMG][/IMG]
wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote