The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
gr8fun

New guy with a 67 stepside

Hello fellow C-10 owners!

My name is Ryan (Ry) and I'm new to the forum and found it after finally finding my ideal restoration/rod project - a 1967 C-10 SWB Stepside short hump, CST, small window with factory air and power steering! It's solid for it's age! The prior owner bought it without a powertrain and put in a carb'ed 383 stroker and performance built TH400 geared with 4.11 and posi (no gas mileage there - maybe I'll go with a 700R4 swap in the future). The prior owner leveled the ride with replacement coils, and put in new suspension rubber everywhere. It still has manual 4-wheel drums, but I'm going to go with a disc-brake conversion upfront from one of the board vendors (already scoping) and will use a hydro-boost for power since the stroker isn't going to furnish good vacuum at idle.

About 15 years ago, the owner before the one I purchased it from shaved and smoothed the body and squirted the truck a deep wine red (great color). However the paint is tired, chipped, and there's some minor rust (no rot) and body filler that's bad and some bodywork that's needed (door hinges for instance).

My current plans are to first get the chassis where I want - not only disc brakes, but all new stainless steel brake and fuel lines and also to relocate the gas tank out of the cab to under the bed. I also need to do some work on the prior tail light relocation to get them to what I want to be. Here's my problem, I cannot weld anymore (I have nerve damage in my arm that limits the use of my hand). Are there any forum members in the Southern New Jersey area that like to trade favors??? I'm an engineer by profession and can design just about anything, and I worked as a mechanic to put myself through college so I have plenty of tools and know-how! I'm looking for steel work to 1) patch the gas tank hole in the cab, 2) french in some lights, 3) do some work on the bed, 4) to graft in a gas filler door, and to shave the cab drip edge (that's the most ambitious I'd say) before the truck is repainted.

Let me know, and I am looking forward to participating here! I have found an AMAZING amount of information already - THANKS!!!
gr8fun is offline   Reply With Quote