The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
wilberweb

55 Chevy Upper cab A pillar alignment problem

Hi, guys
I am working on a 55 Chevy second series upper cab corner I am having some alignment problems. Are the 55 Chevy's on some cab parts off at the factory?
I have a cab top that I am using to fix the upper drivers side cab corner, just above the drivers side window.
My cab was rusted real bad as you can see. (the A pillar section) I was measuring the part of the upper corner of the donor cab, when I noticed the part that makes up the windshield portion of the cab was 1/8" narrower than the part that came off of my 55 cab. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Here is the cab before I patched it, the corner piece where the two pieces come together where the upper piece folds around to meet the lower half of the windshield frame, as you can see from the picture. It seems that the donor piece was 1/8th of an inch smaller then my cab. I had to remove the spot welds and spread the new piece apart and re-weld it so it would match up correctly, I also had to adjust the door frame portion just to make things line up properly. my question, Is this normal. I know that back in 55 they didn't have the technology like they do today. I have read some post that hint that this is normal but was trying to get some feed back on similar problems, and what did you do to correct it. I know they make body filler for this kind of situation, my guess is the less filler the better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Larry
Attached Images

Last edited by wilberweb; 01-30-2011 at 02:46 AM.
wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote