The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Gas gauge question

When I bought my truck all my gauges worked fine, it even had a working tach. I used to drive it around much more than I do now so I would have noticed a weird problem.

Quite a long while back I bought a restored gauge set up from a board member. I was going to use it for a now long gone project. New bezel, restored gauges, even had a vac gauge put in. Well it sat in the closet for a few years before I did anything with it, and one day I decided I might as well spruce up the K20 some and put this gauge assembly in there.

I took out the old gauge unit and sold it since I had no use for it. I put in the new (even though I had it for several years) panel in my truck. Right off, the temp gauge pegged. I figured probably a ground problem or something along those lines. No biggie. I still havent hooked up the vac or oil pressure gauges. My truck has a stand alone 80lb oil gauge on the underside of the dash anyway that works great. Speedo doesnt work right either. I took it on and off several times ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Also the tach doesnt work correctly. Sometimes it reads what I think should be about right, and sometimes it runs almost pegged.

Non of this really bugs me, its my own fault for not trying it out right away. I figure I can fix whatever is ailing it when I feel like yanking the whole thing out. (someday)

One thing I discovered is the gas gauge is out of a large truck. It has those weird idiot lights that flash on once in awhile. They are words, Ive forgotten what they say.

Ok after this long blah blah blah. Ive havent filled my truck up all the way for a very long time. Today I figured with gas prices going up I should keep it topped off as much as possible. Read almost a qtr tank when I started. At 15 bucks it clicked off full. I looked in there, yep full, gave the truck a little shake (no idea if that does anything, but Ive seen others do it lol) yep still very full.

So I hop in the truck, fire it up, and the gauge reads a little less than half a tank, but I know that baby is full to the brim. Now I know my gauge worked perfectly with the original set up so do you think that...

A Since my gauge panel has other weird problems this might be electrical?

B Since this gauge is out of a large truck it just doesnt read correctly?

C The sending unit in my tank is messed up and its just a fluke it happened now?

Last edited by CG; 02-03-2011 at 03:30 PM.
CG is online now   Reply With Quote