The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Forum4130rl

Ghetto Garages/awnings/tarp garages.... Let's see em.

Hello all,
I don’t have a garage that I can fit my truck in and it kills me… I just spent some time looking at a couple of threads about garages, and after looking at all of those awesome setups, it made me even angrier at the person who designed my garage. Wow, some of you folks have awesome shops!!!

Someday, but not anytime soon I will eventually knock down my glorified storage shed, and build a proper garage. But in the meantime, I’m searching for a place to park my truck where I can somewhat be out of the elements, hang a drop light from the “roof” and work on my truck. Maybe take off the hood, and not worry about it being in the open air and birds crapping in my engine bay. Right now, all my work is taking place in a gravel driveway, not normal gravel, but old road asphalt gravel, which is sharp and pokey, dirty, and soft as hell. Due to the fact that the driveway is soft gravel, uneven, and sloping, putting the truck up on jack stands is a risky proposition.

I’m thinking of getting a carport, or building an awning off the side of my garage with a concrete pad, or doing something like that, a “Ghetto Garage”… I’m wondering what you folks who are in my same boat have done. I’ve got lots of room to put up a carport or awning in my yard, but am looking for some ideas. Has anyone used a carport, say, like one you would get from Lowes or Harbor Freight with any success? Is there enough room to move around in there? Any pictures of your setups, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob
Forum4130rl is offline   Reply With Quote