The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
laid_out_70

Re: building my first lowered truck

well here is this weeks update. didnt get alot done, helped a buddy of mine and went to a FFF meeting. im petitioning to join and so far so good i think.

well on friday afternoon i built a buddy a test pipe to replace his cat that he dragged a hole through. i cut off the cat's flanges and the rest is obvious.

then for the majority of the rest of the weekend i built myself a tranny crossmember. bolts to existing holes. nothing lined up and holes in the frame were different from one side to the other. its just temporary until i 'Z' the frame or buy a dropmember. i did go to town on it tho with my new flap disc. im really unsatisfied with the end product for the amount of time it took.

then i spent about 2 hours trying to figure out why i kept frying a compressor relay. after going over all of my wiring it ended up being the check valve in the leader hose. it was plugged and wasnt letting air go in either direction. im amazed that the compressor didnt blow up or anything horrific. so a new leader hose is on the To Buy List. good thing is that i was really unsatisfied with how slow the compressors were but now that i know it will be twice as fast im happy.

also talked to Nate from Porterbuilt this past week to see what headers he recommends so i would for sure have the correct fitting headers the first place. ordered those, two 45* bends, reducers and a 7.5' piece of exhaust tubing from summit. the headers and reducers showed up on friday.

wondering if this is the proper assemble for the reducers to the headers

also picked up 2 switches and another relay from autozone. 1 switch for compressors, 1 for my alternator since i need a diode but the closest radio shack isnt worth the drive.

still need to get a 'momentary on-off-momentary on' switch for the door poppers so i dont have to reach over to open the passenger door. also picked up 2 more lug nuts (all auto zone had) the last 11 i need are supposed to be there tomorrow and im still waiting on my tie rod ends to come in.

started brain storming ideas for upper shock mounts and came up with a great idea. it will complement the bridge design and be double sheared. idk what ill mess with next weekend, probably build the exhaust but who knows.
laid_out_70 is offline   Reply With Quote