The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
1971short4X4

1968 hood fitment questions please help

i took my truck down to a bare frame and am now putting the front sheetmetal on, with a different cab and fenders.. so i'm basically building from scratch.

question #1
i am having a problem, the hood is fitting even in the front (gap to each fender from the hood at the grill) however at the back it is closer to the passenger fender (like 1/32 inch gap) and a normal gap at the driver side. i have tried shifting the hood over to the drivers side in an effort to make the gap to the passenger fender wider at the rear, by loosening the bolts that attach the hood to the hinges (all 4 of them) and shifting to the driver side, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. (hood still closer to passenger fender at the back)

so my first question is what is the correct way to open the gap to the fender at the back of the hood by the hinge?

question #2
the gap at the rear of the hood (at the hinges to the fenders) is less then at the front of the hood (at the grill to each fender). What is the correct way to widen this gap. (shims at the front fender to cab bolt or at rear fender to cab bolt or both?)
where i'm stumped is the doors are adjusted so they are flush with the rear of the cab and flush with the fender and rocker) so if i'm concerned that if i shim the fenders out the doors will now be in too far)

last question.
for the top fender to cab bolts. should there be shims here to space the fenders out? or from the factory is it normal to not need shims in this area?

thanks for any advise.
1971short4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote