The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
jocko

i'm moving to the desert... so, back to an a/c question

Interested in your opinions out there - and we've discussed some of the options for a/c install before - but my question is geared primarily toward the interior set up.

While I like "stock" or at least stock-looking a/c vent and knob set-ups, when I look at the stock 66 chev set-up, it does kinda protrude out into the interior a bit - so I asked my self (I said, "self...") do I really like the stock look just because in the back of my mind I know it's stock? I kinda said yes.

In other words, I've seen a few folks do custom set-ups for their dash louvers, etc.

I'll probably be buying a vintage air or old air set-up for the working parts, but when it comes to how the interior will look, I essentially have these options for the interior:

1. Use the plastic louvers in the kit
2. hook the new system to the stock a/c vents (when I find some - there are some on ebay right now, by the way)
3. install a custom looking (yet-stock appearing) setup.

I'm kinda leaning toward #3, but the idea of cutting any "new" holes in my dash makes me cringe...

While I know the basic answer is "it's your truck, do what you want!" - I am interested in your thoughts since you all know and appreciate these trucks much more than the average joe that happens to be in my passenger seat.

This first picture is what I'm thinking of doing - the 2.5" outer louvers are only $14.95 and could easily be plumbed from a stock kit with a little extra piping. To me, it preserves the clean look of the original non-a/c dash (i.e. I'm starting to think that the factory a/c dash is a bit cluttered in the center - maybe just my imagination, but I like my current, clean dash with minimal switches, etc....)

The next 2 pics are of the stock set-up and the final is a typical kit set-up.

I saw an interesting thread on here about "hideaway" vents that rotated out of the way, and that would be a consideration, but I'm not sure I want to do that either. Anyhoo, thanks in advance for your 2 cents!
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 12:43 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote