The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Yukon 400

HD Frame Swap to 1+ ton

After putting in a Cummins in my 3/4 ton suburban, I realized that the frame sags slightly, but that was expected and was not enough to bother me. Now getting ready to installing a front drive axle and jacking up the front the frame twisted a lot and brought up some concerns of durability with so much twist ans sooner or later with use it seems that fatigue will eventually lead to failures.

It seems that the 3/4 ton suburban frame of this era is not that much beefier that a 1/2 ton one. I looked at the idea of using a current day or gmt800 hyrdoformed frame would be much stiffer than what I have, but they are still not designed to handle the weight. So I was looking at using a 88-00 one ton crew cab chassis or even going with a straight rail version from the 4500 which might solve my emissions issues since I could get the papers for a vehicle that has a gvwr over 14000.

I just wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think if if there's another vehicle's frame which might may suffice, without major modifications.

1 Ton Chassis Cab

HD Frame

1952 Chevy 6400 Truck - Looking for a direction in life
Yukon 400 is offline   Reply With Quote