The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Wood on the cab floor for insulation

Hey guys, I picked up the recent issue of Hotrod, April 2011, and inside they show a project car called 'Impaler'. On page 42 in the middle is a under-construction pic of the interior with wood on the floor.

The captions says the following "The wood is a trick Bryan learned in other hot rod shops. Its adds weight but acts as a great sound deadener and heat insulator. He says 'Top that with Lizard Skin, and this baby is a cool and quiet ride.' "

The question I have is, has anyone ever heard of this? The photo doesn't show crappy OSB sheeting wood either, nor is it MDF. I know that wood is often used in interior construction, I bought a book a few years ago, but this really surprised me.

It really has me thinking about using this because I have a lot of long flat spaces in my 53 panel truck, much more than my wallet could ever afford, or my mind justify, to cover with dynamat, or a competitor. I don't want people jumping in about how great dynamat is or any of the other stuff because it simply doesn't matter how great it is! I have WAY to much square footage to cover.

The second question I have is, if you were to get some of that boat/water plywood, would your really need to even Lizard Skin it?

It just so happens that I have access to some Lizard Skin that would do the job, a friend bought WAY to much! So I was gonna buy it off him anyway but if I could use that for the walls and roof and firewall and then skip the floor that would great

Third question I have is, the photo doesn't show any kind of fasteners holding the stuff down or in place. Would you need to hold it in place some how, glue maybe, or could you get away with just the seats and carpet keeping it in place.

Thoughts?

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote