The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Tmwoodall

Identifying heads

I bought my truck from a guy who was building it to play with it/track it. That being said the engine looked amazing when I picked it up (Though that was 8 years ago). I have fired it up a few times once it was on the chasis.

Since it sat for so long without being worked on I am taking some steps backwards to do some things better, and do others for the first time. THe paint on the block has begun flaking off, really bad. It seems it was "painted to sell." That isn't the end of the world since I took it back down to the frame and have a rolling chasis. I can easily pull the engine, tranny and touch it up with some Eastwood Chevy orange.

My question is this, not knowing what heads are on it, how can I identify if they are of a high quality/suited to the rest of the build? I am next to 100% ignorant when it comes to engine building/tuning but am looking to learn as I go with this project.

I will have to dig out my file folder tonight to pull up the rest of the specs on engine components, IIRC it was built up quite nicely, but to my VERY untrained eye, looks to potentially be stock heads. Though I noticed there is a bit of overhang on the backside of the block as in the heads stick out about 1/4-1/2 inch from the block face....

I'll post up some pictures later on.