The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
junkyardjohn

86 cucv m1036 5/n military truck recovery

Well on 2/11/11 I won a M1031-AG010 shop maintanance contact truck thru a gooberment auction. The E.U.C. cleared in about two weeks, & since it was fairly close to home, I figured I'd just drive up to w.p.a.f.b. & haul it home on my car trailor. I've got a 82 gmc civi long fleet 4x4 D.D. that I've had forever & pulled many an old car or truck with. It has over 5,000,000 miles on.. on it's third gas 350, & second 700R4. It doesn't owe me a thing, been a good old truck, & has never left me on the side of the road. I figured this M1031 would make a good replacement. Found one at a decent price, ($2503 before fees) 230 miles away, with 11718 miles, a pto driven 12,000 kw genset (with 6 hours on the meter) & an air compressor on board. A 6.2 diesel, t-400, np205 with a p.t.o. going thru a 14 bolt full floater, with a detroit locker & 456-1 ratio out back & a dana 60 limited slip in front. Bucket seats already & everything. Well.. I left around 600 hours, & had to pickup my bud-navigator-co-pilot about 30 miles in oposite direction, & then about 60 miles to get on I-75 N. Made an appointment for loadout at 1200 hours. Plenty of time. Thats when the fun began. there must have been a bad accident or something because the expressway was closed in both directions. Detour time.... it took about 1 1/2 hours to drive 25 miles to the next exit. It looked like I was going to be late picking it up. Iwas about at the KY-OH border around noon & stopped at a rest area to call WRIGHT PAT. G.L. guys & tell em I'd be late. (Old hillbilly here.. don't text,tweet,twitter or even own one of those cellular telephones) They were great.. said no problem... come on up..the gate closes at 1400 hours. Showed up... & the truck was nicer than I hoped for. A little surface rust on the hood, but other than that... perfect for a 25 year old non-op military truck. it only had one battery (deader than a wedge) & was missing the glowplug relay solinoid next to the m/c on the fire wall. Other than that..it didn't appear to have been canniblized. The guy there loaded it on my trailor with a big fork lift, I chained it down , & was on my way. Well this rascal is heavy... it must weigh about 4 tons, & was quite a workout for my poor old truck. It didn't like those big old hills comming back at all. But I wasn't in any big hurry & took my time. We had to stop twice , for about a half an hour each time to let the old girl rest. It seemed like it was uphill all the way home. (I live in B.F.E. out in the mountains) . Well about 3/4 of the way down my driveway, about 150 yards from my house.... she gave up the ghost. It was about 2200 hours & we had to walk the last 450 feet home. My bud called his wife & she came & got him. I went out this morning & after a little pumping of the acelerator pedal... she fired right up & ran like always. It's still on the trailor & I felt like six feet of chewed string all day. Tommorrow... if it's not raining too bad, I'll pull it off the trailor & make it run. The spare tire still has the sticker on it, & it looks like an average 11,000 mile truck. I'M HAPPY. John
Attached Images

LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 03-04-2011 at 11:03 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote