The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Chevelle454

Question Fifth wheel in a '72 LWB C10...

Well, first of all...it's been a long time since I've been here but I'm picking up my old projects again and it's good to be back!

So here's my dilemma...

I recently purchased a 24' 6500lb fifth wheel camper trailer. I was told that my 2002 F150 4x4 5.4L would pull it, but it would be pretty borderline.... Of course I didn't have a fifth wheel hitch in the truck already to test it out first, but the trailer was a good deal so I went through with it and purchased it. I bought and installed the hitch in the Ford, only to discover that it has a hell of a time just getting to 55 mph. I can hit 65 or 70, but you have to floor it the whole way there and then stay about 3/4 throttle to maintain speed on a flat grade. Wind seems to be the biggest factor, as the trailer sits about twice as high as the truck. Obviously, this is not going to work...

So my new idea...

I have two Chevy trucks, a 1972 C10 and a 1972 C20, both LWB.

The C20 had an engine fire, so there is no engine or transmission in it and the cab is pretty burned up inside. It is mostly rust free, the frame is in very nice shape. But the Eaton rear needs a rebuild, and it needs all new ball joints, tie rods, shocks, springs, etc...

The C10 is in nice shape. It has a mild built 350, 4 speed transmission and 4.10 rear end. This truck also needs new shocks and springs as they are sagging pretty good.

So if at all possible, I would like to use some combination of parts between the two trucks to build a truck that is capable of hauling my fifth wheel camper. Would the C10 be alright with possibly just some 3/4 ton springs in it? Too much stress for a 10 bolt 1/2 ton rear end? Will rear drum brakes be sufficient to stop this thing with a load like that behind it (with trailer brakes)?

Any suggestions on what to do here?

1972 C10
1972 C20
Chevelle454 is offline   Reply With Quote