The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
east1la

Re: LED review:Dash yes, Clearance Lights no

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
Thanks Glenn,
Originally I purchased 6 of these bulbs. Five for the clearance lights with a spare. Didn't like the yellow color these led whites created inside the lamp lenses as it failed to match the amber of the bed lights. So this is how I afforded them for use in the gauges.

So, for the gauges, I used 5 bulbs. In hindsight, while the dash was apart, I should have replaced the heater control bulb. Eventually I will as I have the sixth bulb for this. Having steel wooled the black paint off of the heater control plate, turning it into a bright silver, I am betting it will be a lot brighter(and whiter) with the new bulb as well.

I do contribute equal improvement of the new light from taking the advice of many here and painting the interior of the bezel silver/chrome. I did elect to add the same paint to both sides of the plastic cover that is behind the clear plastic. (it also made a significant difference in reflectivity)

Good Luck! Personally I do like finally seeing the gauges at night. The original light from the oem ones were terrible and for my 'older' eyes, these are perfect.

Hope this helps.
Mark
Remember: You don't need leds for the bulbs for the bright light and turn signal indicators. If I update again I might add one more...but it really isn't necessary.
nice write up. I wonder if the heater control bulb is a 194 bulb also? I want to do this on my 1987 chevy pickup. how long did it take you to do this conversion?
east1la is offline   Reply With Quote