The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
wyattglock

Re: 89 Crew Cab resurrection.....

I had a little hiccup yesterday. Torquing the head bolts that I had bought from Jegs, got 31 of the 32 to spec. The last one snapped just above the threads!! Had to take the head back off to fix it, but luckily the bolt had just failed with a z-shaped break. I was able to take a punch and hammer and turn it back out of the block. Chased the threads again and got a bolt at work.
Today I proceeded to finish the heads off, then installed the intake with new bolts. Got some new bolts for the harmonic balancer and the water pump. Somehow I forgot to get washers, must have had a dumbass attack somewhere along the way. I will pick some up tomorrow. I also dry fit the headers. I will have to take them back off and do a little custom grinding on the flanges to clear the cylinder head bolts.
I got some pics tonight, I took a couple of the bottom of the intake before I reinstalled the heat shield. A friend had pointed out that an A-B comparison would have been nice to show how much cleaner it is now. I also took a couple of the engine on the stand with the headers hanging on it. I am starting to get the itch to hear the beast run!!! I think that will be a moment worthy of a video.
Attached Images

wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote