The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
vjjack04

Re: Opinion on leaving out the parking brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I guess you didn't read the above post.

Think about it: You have resto rodded a truck, upgraded the brakes to dual reservoir etc. and intentionally didn't hook up an emergency brake. You posted on a blog you weren't going to, others said you should. Now you get in an accident and somebody gets hurt. Pretty much the worse lawyer in the country could make a really good case of intentional neglegence against you.

Saying "if you have an automatic you don't need one" is just silly. How many automatic trucks have been built since the 1940's by automotove manufacturers that didn't have a "parking / emergency" brake? None.

Hydraulic brake systems are mechanical devices, they can fail. You need a back up system and that system is the parking / emergency brake. If you don't do it for yourself do it for those riding with you, and for those on the highway.
I see the point you are making, but don't share your perspective. To each his own. I saw the story and understand what they are saying (it was difficult, but I got it). It is like seat belts and helments (to me). It should be the owners choice. Again, I have never pulled the "emergency brake" in an emergency and really don't think one should. It would make the rear lock up and potentially slide around. But you guys can do what you choose (obviously).

Interesting that you are concerned about others riding with you; I am not. I often smoke the tires in my Corvette and race through neighborhoods hoping to hit small children and the elderly...just kinding. I care about folks too, but I still don't believe it is neccesary to have an "emergency" brake. Mechanical things fail is a matter of fact, I appreciate your reminder; I didn't know that? (more sarcasm). Do what you think is right. I for one don't believe an automatic trans vehicle needs an emergency/parking brake. It is not a "back up system" because using a brake that locks up the rear wheels at (lets say) 60 MPH is not a good thing. Also, if you are driving around in a vehicle with questionable brakes, look at that first.

And your analogy about the litigation is goofy; what precidence have you for this? I am willing to take the risk that some savy lawyer would (not) go to this website and research the topics associated with my perspective in the event of a law suite. Anyway, this is the last on this topic I will post.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote