The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
RuralRoute C-30

Re: Classic Industries dash pad

Have to agree with Vernski on it is not an easy process. Granted I have not given up on it but remain frustrated with parts of it that I do not think will change.

Anyway, picture time. I know the clips are installed correctly to the dash but I didn't grind anything off for a speaker as the left and right ones are out anyway. I do think I can get where it sits along the window leveled out, maybe?, but probably the real issue is the "wave" I look at sitting in the driver's seat. In the picture with it sitting on the ground next to the oem dash the "wave" is obvious and it didn't improve when installed. Nothing is going to straighten that line out that I can tell. That is plainly a twist in the form that I don't see straightening out.

Meanwhile, take a look, advice and opinions are welcome. I am tempted to replace the new clips with the old ones, but I put an old clip next to a new one and nothing is different. If nothing else, it all is coming off once again and more trimming is on the list. (I do wonder though; since it needs trimmed, agreed by all on that part who have 'been there, done it, once the buyer does trim, and there are still problems, is there any recourse to return it since the buyer has now essentially "cut" the dash to fit?) Interesting point to ponder...I have.

Neither here nor there, for now accepting I "own" this thing. Just taking a break from frustration so when I do tackle it again soon it will be with the patience of a saint and a razor sharp trimming knife.

Yet do notice how crisp the dash lines, (the area that is above the gauge cluster), with the oem dash as it sits with this one on the ground. Also when handling this one, unlike an oem dash, care must be taken as it will nearly bend in half compared to the oem which is essentially a piece of steel with no real flex.

Oh well, just another learning curve on this project. We all have 'em. Not the first time I get to learn something new...and won't be the last.

In hindsight having reviewed this post maybe I should contact Classic Industries and have them assess what we see with this particular dash. Pondering that may be the right thing to do at this point.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote