The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
KMK454

My garage queen truck has become my daily driver

Well, my truck used to sit in the garage and only come out on sunny weekends for cruising, car shows, and fun. However, it's gradually become my daily driver and it just crossed 30k miles! This happened when I realized I am going to keep this truck forever, so there's no point in keeping the miles low; I may as well enjoy it while I can.

Save for 12-18 MPG traffic dependent, it makes for a great DD. On the drive I pass a few 73-87s still hard at work, loaded up with ladders, tools, and heavy equipment.

Thunderstorms and a tornado warning at the airfield, no big deal:

Idling in stop and go traffic in FL; at least the AC is working. Picked it up with 18k miles in 2006, just passed 30k:

And of course, all clean. It photographs better than it is; the original paint and some touch up spots are starting to get worse, the silver windshield trim has turned gold, and the driver's rear tail light area has a poorly done patch from decades ago that's starting to show through. The problem is fixing any one of these things means I have to do it all since that one thing will look better than everything else! Everything has kind of "patinad" over the past 30 years and it looks right. My intent has been to just meticulously preserve it as is as long as its safe to do, replacing things necessary to keep it mechanically sound (rubber, fluids, misc tune-up parts, etc.).

And here's a family shot - 1991 Camaro Police Package (B4C), wife's car, and the truck:

I'll be getting new shocks with my tax return... can't wait to get rid of the bouncing.
1991 Camaro B4C

Last edited by KMK454; 04-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote