The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
sumran

Re: Gator Squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
How long did it take to do that..
This one took a little more than a week, because I did it a few minutes at a time. Normally I do them on a working vehicle, so it has to be done all at once. I can do one in 2-1/2 ro 3 hours if I stay at it steadily. The first one will take a little longer.

You have to push a steel needle through some very tight leather holes, so I would recommend a thimble or some other means of protecting your finger tips. A high quality set of small pliers is also very useful to pull the needle through on the back side.

The trickiest part is around the points where the spokes attach to the rim. You have to continue the stitching until you have gone just past the edge of the spoke, then lace the front side only on the face of the spoke, then catch the hole just before the spoke ends. That allows you to pull the leather tight and flat around the spoke. The seam needs to be aligned with the center of the spokes.

One last warning: If you put one on one of your vehicles, you will want one on all of them.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote