The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I finally picked up the tires for the jimmy. The seller contacted me last week asking about a windshield frame, I had one, so we worked out a trade. I got a set of 4 32x11.5x15 tires with good tread, a pair of turquoise door panels (for my C-10) and he got the windshield frame I paid $35 for. We were both happy. I also bought an inside heater box. Not realizing this tub didn't have one, I probably sent 5 of these to scrap. About $20 for that part. I'll probably just cut some sheetmetal to blank off the heater hole for the summer, then install a heater later.

Anyone need some ford 5 lug wagon wheels, cheap!?

Now that I had tires, I figured I better start cleaning up the wheels. They were nasty. Heres a pic of an uncleaned one by one I worked on a bit.

And a pic of 2 cleaned ones.

I still need to work on all of them, and will probably continue to clean and rub the whole set as I have time. For now though, they are ok. I need to find center caps. One surprise was that it is not a matched set. There are 2 ansen sprints and 2 shelby 500's. There are very small differences in the overall look, but one set has a larger center hole. I should get them mounted up this week.

Also got underneath to try and identify the source of leakage. It's possible it's the tranny pan gasket. I thought I did a good job on it, but there was definitely some leakage there. I tightened the bolts a bit, and I'll just have to keep an eye on it, see if it keeps dripping.

Oh yeah, I measured the hieght difference front to back using the top of the wheel well and the rear is about 3.5" lower. The guy I got the tires from might have a set of 4" lift blocks, or I'll find another set. I was not expecting that much drop or sag. The lift blocks will work until the springs get replaced some time down the road.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 04-20-2011 at 11:42 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote