The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
FFredo

learning curve.. newbie with many questions

Well I've had my 59 for bit over 2 weeks now.
I have slowly been able to take a inventory of work that needs to be done to make this my daily driver.

First is the rust, although it seems minor compaired to some I've seen I'm a little aprehensive about the order of repair. Do I start with the cab, do I pull the cab? Should I try to find new remanufactured parts or look for patches from a doner truck?

Next is suspension: I don't want to bag this but would like to take about 2 inches all the way around. Again doner parts or do I make what I have work by going at it with fire and hammer?

Steering: Even with the very large 16 inch wheel I am having trouble making turns at slow speeds. IS there a inexpensive option for me, or will I need to pay the big bucks for a after market power steering set up?

Brakes: I want to keep the 6 lug bolt pattern, but also definately wanto to convert the front to discs. Not sure how to go about this. Bolt on kit, graft from newer vehicle??

I consider myself fairly handy with tools and my ability to fabricate parts as needed as long as I'm talking welding, cutting etc. I'm comfortable with the idea of moving the fuel tank back between the frame rails. Welding in new patch panels and what not. My weak points are math, geometry and my inability to make up my mind.
I am not a machinest and I am not tooled up for machine work. I've built a few bikes, but my experiance stops there.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote