The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
JGross

Help with drive shaft problem cause by lowering

I’m putting my 65 short fleet back together and I think I may have caused a problem with the drive shaft. The PO had installed a 350 small block and a TH400 trans but had never driving the truck. When I got the truck I pulled body off the frame and started my rebuild. The PO had already put 2.5 inch drop spindles on the front so I put stock springs on the front and 3 inch drop springs on the back. I looked at the frame crossmember that has the hole In it for the drive shaft and noticed that the drive shaft was closer to the passenger side of the hole. There was only about a half inch between the drive shaft and the crossmember.

Well I now have the body back on the frame and last night while I was under the truck bolting down the bed wood I noticed that the drive shaft has moved further toward the passengers side, now there is only a 1/16 inch between the drive shaft and the crossmember. I think the panhard bar is pushing the diff over because I lowered the frame. Do I need to shorten the panhard bar?

Thanks
JGross is offline   Reply With Quote