The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #1
BigDave
I poop on Ford!

Help: A/C Idle Solenoid Problem

I'll keep this short. I installed twin 12" fans on my Cheyenne with the 402. While it was parked and I was testing the system I noticed the A/C solenoid wasn't working.

I purchased a new one Saturday and installed it yesterday. Everything seemed to be okay after the install and it idled fine. When I drove the thing to work this morning it was racing like crazy when I got it into park.

I turned the A/C on and I didn't notice a change in the idle. When I turned it off I didn't notice a change either. When you start it, if you don't touch the accelerator it will idle fine. As soon as you depress the pedal, it will kick it the idle up too high.

Isn't this device supposed to increase the idle when the A/C is activted and return it to normal when the A/C is off? Why would it be causing the engine to race. I just assumed you unscrewed the old and screwed in the new. I've replaced these before and have never had this problem.
BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote