The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2003, 08:44 AM   #1
Mike Culpepper
Red

Vintage air A/C installation

ddsmith did a great job detailing the Old Air install tips and in the thread that prompted his post below, several members thought it would be helpful to have side by side comparison of Vintage Air (VA) vs. Old Air(OA). I hope it will be helpful.
First off I have never seen an OA system in person so comparisons are subjective. Second, my truck was an A.C cab, so I didn't have to cut holes for the side or center vents.
My VA unit is a "Sure Fit unit" -they make several other units-I didn't investigate any of these.
On the surface both units appear to be very similar, both apparently use Sanderson compressors which in my research, most thought these were very effecient and quality compressors. The inside units both give a cleaner look to the inside cab and both take some glovebox room vs. the original, it looks like the VA takes more glovebox room away. The drier and condensers appear very similar. Both units use 100% recirculated air, and VA recommends sealing up all areas where hot air could come in.
Both units use the original ac control panel, there are no modifications needed to the controller(ddsmith noted that OA required a small modification to the controller). My VA unit came with everything you need except freon(you can get R-12 or 134a units), and a belt. I got the unit about 10-12 days after I ordered it and it was packed VERY well.
I thought the instructions were pretty good, but still had alot of questions. The good news is VA has an excellent customer service dept.
Here are a few pics, then I'll give some more info.
Attached Images

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).

Last edited by Mike Culpepper; 07-23-2003 at 08:47 AM.