The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
FFredo

It begins.... BED R&R

Decided with the great so cal weather I should start removing the bed and get at any rust I might find. I found plenty, but it is all pretty easy to get to and I think a easy job of cutting out and patching up. I tricked a few buddys over to help by telling them about the cuban cigars I brought back from my vacation to jamaica. I never knew those guys smoked!! Once I had every thing loose it was just pick, walk and place on a set of saw horses I had ready to go.

First I went at the 1/2 plywood that the PO had covered the original wood slats with and found a lot of roted oak,. I took that out with a hatchet and a sawzall. No pics of the old wood, just imagine a jigsaw puzzle made of roted out oak. The steel strips were also scrap and rust so I have to order a set of those. Will probably go with stainless just to avoid having to deal with it again.

I found a lot of rust at the flanges that bolt the bed to the wood. Easy fix to weld in new sheet metal here,

Someone in a past life liked the use of bondo, they liked it a lot I guess.

They also liked the idea of shabby patch work combined with bondo.

I bolted the rear bumper back on, added a set of cheapo trailer lights and can now drive as I refab the bed. I do still need to add mud flaps to keep the police from having to keep piulling me over and asking WTH?

I have a order in with LMC for some patches and new rubber for mounting the front sheet metal up. But first the welding starts tuesday when my buddy returns my mig welder and bottle.

Last edited by FFredo; 05-23-2011 at 09:05 AM.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote