The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
southplainsag02

'72 350 cooling system concerns

I recently purchased a 1972 lwb stepside with a 350 and after driving for only a few miles it blew a small hole in the radiator. I took the radiator to a repair shop and they said that it was bad after pressure testing it. So, I installed a new radiator, new water pump and a new 195 degree thermostat. The only thing that I did different from what I pulled off the truck was run the top heater hose to the water pump and not to the new radiator. I have driven the truck twice since all of this and only about 10 miles at a time just to make sure there is no problems. When I pull in the garage and pop the hood it seems VERY hot in the engine compartment. My question is, is this normal or is there something wrong? I just checked the engine compartment after the truck has sat for 3 hours and I was able to pop the radiator cap of with my bare hands but it is still very hot under the hood. Maybe I am just being overly cautious. Thoughts?