The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
72longbed
Account Suspended

Question Starter Issues Question??

Hey guys,
I need some help and hope there's a few of you out there that have had the same propblem and found a fix that REALLY works. Today I drove to Carlisle / Mechanicsburg, PA area to buy a new open utility trailer. Naturally I drove the 72 K20 to get it. It was about 95 degrees in my 'neck of the wood's' today and so I made a point to check all fluids, topped off the radiator with a good 50/50 mix, tranny, etc.. All cool for the ride as far as the guages went. I decided to stop at the 'Lawn" Rest Stop about 32 miles before the Carlisle exit. I came out a tried to start the truck ... nothing. Not even clicking. I had a similar experience a couple months ago when I took the truck to Reading area on a very hot afternoon and came out of the store and ... Nothing. I waited about 30 minutes, turning the key every 10 minutes, and finally after the sun was well down, it started. So I assumed it was the fact that I didn't have a heat shield on my starter, and my Headers are heating up the starter. I went online and bought a D.E.S (or something like that), starter heat shield wrap. A bit of a P.I.A. to put on , but it's been on there almost two months.

So back to my trip to Carlisle ... I had to wait almost an hour for the damn thing to cool off today at the rest stop. So I get to the trailer dealer and naturally I spent a good bit of time haggling and doin' the deal. Luckily, the truck started right up come time to hook up the new trailer and get back on the road. Wheew!!

I had to stop for gas outside of Morgantown on the way home. Shut it off to fill up and, sure as ****tin', wouldn't start. I ended up, after waiting a good 1.5 hours, finally getting at the starter with a screwdriver and jumping the positive lead and the inside terminal on the solenoid. Started right up.

So here's the thing ... I can do most anything mechanical, but electrical stuff ... I'm lost. We all have our weak spots.

What I would like to know is:
1. is what's going on here called "Heat Sink"?
2. is there damage to my starter/solenoid at this point?
3. what needs to be done to keep this from happening again?
4. Can I continue to use the starter that's in there or does either the starter or solenoid need to be replaced now?
5. is there a method or 'product' that can keep the Header heat from doing this again?

Thank you folks for all your good ideas and experiences in this area. I look forward to learning what can be done here so that I can actually USE my friggin' truck in the summertime! Ha!!

72longbed

Last edited by 72longbed; 05-31-2011 at 09:09 PM.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote