The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Lance-ftw

odd stalling and stuttering.

Ok, new issue..

a week or so ago I noticed a little stutter when I was running down the highway. not on accel or anything just rolling along it sort of lurched a little... barely perceptable really.

A few days later it felt like it was running out of gas, sputtered and almost stalled. I pumped the gas and it lurched and picked back up and ran fine, I knew I had gas so I figured maybe I blew something through the filter or whatever, didn't think twice about it.

A few days ago it started stuttering bad. Not consistently or in any way that I can create a pattern and make it do it. Sometimes when I'm sitting at a light it'll stutter and stall out, sometimes going down the road it'll start to lose power and the engine almost sounds like it's about to shut off. It'll sputter a bit then start running fine again. Happens more in drive or reverse than neutral or park but it still happens in nuetral and park as well.

I took it to my mechanic and he thinks the carb is jacked up, floats sticking or something but I'm not 100% sure. We pulled some fuel out and checked it for water and didn't see anything.

The carb is an aftermarket edelbrock, truck is a 70 cst10, engine is a late 80s early 90s 350 (bolts in the middle of the valve covers)

At idle in park or nuetral its around 1k rpm and in gear it's just over 500. I'm not set up for 'performance' even though the previous owner put some mild cam in it.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Oh, there's no smoke and aside from me flooding it once tryin to start it up I'm not noticing any gas smell or seeing any fuel overflow around the carb.

thanks in advance for any ideas. because of labor costs I might just buy a new carb and stick it on if I can't find anything viable to troubleshoot.
Lance-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote