The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
shrike

engine getting hot

ok, I searched through the forum but didn't see anything.

1970 with a 350, auto trans, Vintage Air A/C (orig had factory air), daily driver.

Stock fan setup (7 blade), stock water pump, new radiator shroud, new temp sending unit (on intake) new temp gauge.

Now the radiator I am not sure about. It looks to be in good shape, no leaks but it was on the truck when I got it. All I did was flush it out last year. How can I tell what size it is?

The truck runs fine as long as I am moving, temp sits around 200. no problems at lights. The problem is when it is hot out (like around 100 yesterday) and I get stuck in construction. Basically a worst case scenario. Had the AC on, got off the freeway at my exit and it was down to one lane. I sat, barely moving, for about 15 minutes and the temp was at 230 and rising.

I am thinking about replacing the fan clutch because it seems a little weak. Again, it was on the truck when I got it so not sure how old it is. Same for the water pump.

I really do not want an electric fan.

One thing Ive noticed is that the radiator shroud has a lot of gaps between it and the radiator esp at the bottom. Is this normal? Should I try and seal this up?

Thanks for any help!