The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
chevypoint

Uncle Eds 71 GMC

I have been itching to work on something, so I started poking around on the web when I came across this terrific site. I have been lurking around for the past few weeks and can't stop reading. Sounds like a great group of guys and the amount information is unbelievable.

My wifes grandfather bought the GMC new back in 71 (have bill of sale and all paperwork). He drove it until the early 80s and passed it along to my wifes uncle. Uncle Ed drove the truck until 02 when the 292 with around 400K on it gave up and died. The truck was then passed to me and has been sitting, waiting its turn to be put back on the road. The GMC is a 71 with a 292 and 3 speed on column. Discs up front and drums out back and no power anything. It has the usual rust in cab corners doors and rockers. The custom spray paint was applied by my oldest son, who was 7 at the time, while I was not paying attention to him. I am replacing the tired 292 with a running 305/350 combination I have on hand (trying to go low budget). A axle flip for the rear and lowering springs for the front. I have been collecting patch panels for a few years but will still have to find a few parts. I have a 69 chevy longbed that was given to me for parts (not much good on the body)but has an automatic and power brakes.

Started stripping the truck this week and hope to pull the engine, trans and bed this evening. I will try to keep updates posted as the truck progresses.
Attached Images

chevypoint is offline   Reply With Quote