The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
DetroitDan

different q-jet problem

had a friend freshen up my q-jet, choke wasnt working and secondaries didn't either. truck sat a couple years so I figured it was due. He said he only did the top, replaced the gaskets, cleaned it out and put a new accelerator pump in it, because it looks really new, it was a replacement carb at some point in recent years. And the reason the choke and secondaries werent working was probably the split vacuum line on the choke. I put it on and tried to start it, wont start. intakes covered with gas so I crank it while watching (shoulda done that in the first place) and the gas is coming up out of the accelerator pump!? I called him up and he says he has no idea has never seen one do that. Thinks maybe a seal or something in the pump may have gotten torn on install, but a stuck float should push it out the vent. I took it off and drained it, shaking it I cant hear the float move. It's going back to him Sunday if I cant get it fixed myself today. And no, the guys not a moron, he's been building squares for many years, and always rebuilds his own q-jets. Just never had this happen.

So, if anyone knows how gas is getting into the wrong part of the accelerator pump and coming up through the plunger rod, I'd like to hear it.