The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
jocko

66 C10 T5 swap ID questions - I B Stumped....

Now that I got my decent deal on the trans at Pomona - I went in eyes wide open, assuming the seller didn't necessarily know what he was talking about (i.e. he said it was a WC S-10 transmission...). Now, I didn't have my handy dandy magic decoder ring with me, but I always thought all S10s were non-WC. The seller said the 92 was a WC... I dunno - I can find no ref to back that up, in fact, every ref I've checked says all S10 trannys were non-WC. That's ok, I was willing to get just an S10 non-WC trans since I decided to go the T5 route. The seller also told me the mech speedo drive was swapped in the place of the electronic speedo sensor/drive - and there is one there (I better look to make sure there are actually drive and driven gears in it!!) Bottom line - it's a T5 with an S10 tailshaft housing - that much is certain - sdo I bought it.

But once I got home and started doing some decoding, I'm scratchin my head big time, so appreciate any insight from those that have gone here before....

The HAMB/flatheadv8.org/etc sites I use as my guide on the T5 stuff said to IGNORE the casting numbers on the cases - only use the metal tag bolted to the tailhousing as a ref for identifying the trans. But, I'm also thinking that metal tag could have come from anything, especially from a guy who had several different T5's for sale. Anyway, I couldn't help myself - here's what I've tracked down....

The "Metal Tag" # (i.e. the fuzzy 5th pic) - 1352-232
According to the flathead v8 T5 lookup tool (http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm), this ID's as "GM '93 MY S 2.8L WC" What's the "MY" mean.... hmm.

But the other stamped numbers on the cases are (i.e. the numbers that flatheadv8 says to completely ignore...):
Main Case: 1352-065 this ID's as "84 Mustang/Capri 5.0"
Main Case Top Cover: 1352-097 (No impact, no idea...)
Tailshaft Hsg: 1352-232 ID's as "1352-066

Take a look at the pic of the front of the trans - someone pls confirm for me that this is a CHEV bolt pattern and no a Ford or Astro van... PLEASE!
I was 99% sure this was a chev bolt pattern and still am, but pls ID por favor.

Stranger still...
I did the "count the rotations for gear ratios" on my trans and here's what I came up with:
1st= approx 3.76
2nd=approx 2.2-ish
3rd=approx 1.3-ish
4th=1:1 (at least I'm prtetty confident on that one.... Ha!)
5th=approx .75 (so am assuming it's a .73 o/d)

If you look again at the front of the trans - the trans has the tell-tale bearing race (just below the input shaft collar) of a WC (i.e. not the freeze plug looking one piece thingy...) So this further ID's it as a WC.

Here are the rest of the stats:
i/p shaft = 1" 14 spline (i.e. a chev i/p shaft)
o/p shaft = 26 spline

So, finally (yes, I know this is a lot of jibberish and a lot to ask, but what the heck) here are my questions:
1. Can someone pls confirm that the main case has the bolt mounting pattern for a chev bell housing?
2. Any ideas what this thang is? WC or not WC based on the #'s above? (the bearing race in the front below the input collar and the 1352-232 seem to indicate it is a WC - but of course not out of an S10)
So, the tailshaft has to be an add-on. And that means the guy was pulling my leg or had no clue. Either way, makes the rest suspicious.
3. From face of the trans to tip of i/p shaft is 7+1/8" and the collar is about 4.8" diameter. I believe the Hamilton adapter plate will work in this case to take care of the T5's longer i/p shaft (but this is an S-10 non-WC-ism, if this is truly a WC, then it should be the correct input shaft length, I believe - anyone know this for sure?)

Any other comments welcome. I usually seem to be able to track down stuff, but this appears to be a Franken-trans.

HERE'S WHAT I THINK(!) I HAVE:
92 or 93 WC GM T5 with an S10 tailshaft added and mech speedo hookup added (or it was an early S10 tailshaft with it anyway).

The case stamping is kinda throwing me off because it IDs as a Ford Mustang 5.0 WC, but flatheadv8.org is pretty adamant that the case stampings do NOT indicate what the trans was originally built for or installed in, any case could be used for pretty much any application in the same year (i.e. without crossing Ford/Chev, etc - but post-93 were all Ford cases and BH mounting, I believe) - only the metal tag properly IDs according to the refs I've checked out. But in today's swap meet world and with all the rebuilt (or not) T5's - that tag could also easily have been swapped. If I trust it though (BIG IF), it does ID as what I guessed above. But then the gear ratios don't line up with any of those trans's either.
Arggh.
Thanks guys, appreciate your help. Here's the pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 06-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote