The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
dchough

1982 Chevy 6.2 Diesel problems!

Hey Guys,

Some of you have heard this story before,but the problem still isn't fixed.

I bought a 1982 Chevy 6.2 C10 and drove it home from New Jersey. After about 4 hours of running on the highway, I came to a tollbooth. As I proceeded to pull away from the booth, the truck was about to shift into second (revs really high, because the TV Cable needs to be adjusted) and then all of a sudden the truck shut off, and wouldn't start (truck cranks perfect, but won't start).

I got it towed to a shop, and the mechanic ran a fuel pressure test and they said there was no pressure at the rail. He replaced the fuel filter, still wouldn't start. He then cleaned up the mechanical pump and finally got it started and idling. However, when he went to drive it, it stalled out again.

He has since primed the system and got the truck to start and idle for another 4 times, however, every single time he goes for a test drive, as the truck gets into high RPM (remember the 700r4 tranny shifts VERY late, 1-2 shift at about 25-30 MPH) the truck stalls out.

He has given up and believes its an electrical issue.

He says mechanically he believes everything is working. He checked out the fuel filter, mechanical pump, IP and LP, and even the pink wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the IP. Although he is is hesitant to completely write off the lift pump and injector pump as the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Does this sound like an electrical problem? Will solving the late shifting fix this problem? Could the shutoff solenoid on the IP not be receiving a constant 12v as the truck goes to shift? Bad grounds? Bad lift pump or injector pump?

Any help would be much appreciated. This one really has me stumped.
dchough is offline   Reply With Quote